Tuesday 14 March 2017

Universal

138-141 Lygon Street, Carlton

Universal is known throughout Melbourne as one of the go to places for a chicken parma or a chicken schnitzel. While specifically known to most people simply for their chicken parma and schnitzel, Universal also boasts a large range of Italian cuisine classics on their menu, as you would expect from an Italian restaurant on Lygon Street.


Universal

Universal chicken schnitzel

Chicken parmagiana

The chicken parmagiana is a specialty of Universal that is well known to many Melbournians and as such, Universal is my go to place whenever I am craving chicken parma. The chicken was cooked very well overall, with a wonderfully browned crumb coating which covers the well cooked chicken. The chicken was not incredibly dry, which is a problem I have noticed in chicken parmas that I try elsewhere. The other aspects of the dish were also good, such as a good amount of cheese and sauce, the beer-battered chips as well as Italian slaw.

While Universal has only ever been known to me as "the chicken parma place", the next time I visit, I will definitely be trying some of their other offerings from the expansive Italian influenced menu.





Food Rating 7.5/10
Overall Rating 7.5/10 
Universal Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato