Sunday 1 May 2016

Sushi Hub

55 Swanston Street, Melbourne

When it comes to sushi in the CBD, Sushi Hub is the new kid on the block. With a busy takeaway shopfront and a sushi train in the restaurant, it is great for both busy people working in the city or just people looking to relax in the restaurant. For those who buy the takeaway sushi, there is a small seating area for them to eat at.


Busy shopfront late on a weekday night

The sushi train area

I arrived quite late so there was no wait to get a seat at the sushi train, the staff were quite responsive to anything I needed, such as drinks.

The preparation of plates for the train

Rotating goodness

For a sushi train there was not actually as much variety as I would have liked. Other sushi trains that I have been to have either had a much larger variety or rotate their dishes throughout the night.

Octopus nigiri $2.80

Abalone gunkan maki $2.80

Jellyfish salad $2.80

Surf Clam $3.80

Salmon nigiri with toppings $3.80

Spicy beef nigiri $3.80

BBQ eel nigiri $3.80

Spicy salmon nigiri $3.00

The dishes were colour coded according to price ranging from the white plates to the pink. My favourites are always the different types of nigiri, the grilled BBQ eel had a good flavour and was made nicely while the beef and the salmon had a nice kick with the spicy sauce. The surf clam was a bit chewy but had a flavour I enjoyed and while most of the fish seemed quite fresh, the octopus had quite a strong smell when I removed the lid.

When I found out the rating which Sushi Hub held on Zomato I was quite surprised, although it was not the best sushi I have had nor was it the best service, I did not find any of the major problems that I read about in other reviews. However compared to the many other sushi trains available in the Melbourne city I feel like Sushi Hub was lacking something to set it apart.



Food Rating 6/10
Overall Rating 6/10

Sushi Hub Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato