Tuesday 8 November 2016

DC Dumpling

590 Station Street, Melbourne

DC Dumpling is a small dumpling restaurant located across the street from Box Hill Central Shopping Center. As I live very close to Box Hill and dine there often, I found it strange that I had never visited DC Dumpling, especially since many of my friends absolutely love the place.


Hot & spicy ox tripe $9.50

The dish of ox tripe was a lot different from any other I have tried before. Usually Chinese restaurants use a spice oil reminiscent of Sichuan cuisine, however the tripe at DC Dumpling was very light with only the slightest amount of spice.

Hot & sour noodle soup $11.50

Hot and sour soup has many regional interpretations from all over Asia. The Chinese variation served at DC Dumpling is usually made hot and sour by the addition of red peppers or white pepper and vinegar. In this case I believe that they used white pepper, as the soup left the pleasant lingering fragrance of white pepper combined with a slight tang from the vinegar.

Home made noodle (dry) $12.50

I had a craving for the Chinese dish known as zhajiangmian, so I was disappointed when I couldn't find it on the menu after a quick glance. After a little bit of confusion, I was able to find out from the staff that the name on the menu for this dish was "Home made noodle (dry)". The portion size was huge and the flavours I expected were very well balanced, making DC Dumpling my new go to restaurant for zhajiangmian.

We also tried the boiled dumplings, however I was unable to take a photo of them, as we were incredibly hungry and dug into them without a second thought the moment they arrived.

Although the service was a little bit choppy, as well as having a menu that was hard to decipher, DC Dumpling offered us solid Chinese comfort food at very reasonable prices. Definitely a place to keep in mind if you are in Box Hill looking for a quick eat.




Food Rating 8/10
Overall Rating 7.5/10


DC Dumpling Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato