Tuesday 26 June 2018

Shophouse Kitchen

Shop 29-31, QV Square, Corner Swanston and Lonsdale Street, Melbourne

Hong Kong style cuisine is a style of food that is under-represented, specifically in the Melbourne CBD. Apart from a few specific restaurants, such as D-House Cafe and the hidden Hayday Hong Kong Cafe, it can be quite hard to find these styles of restaurants outside of the suburbs. Shophouse Kitchen is one of these restaurants that serve the Hong Kong style cuisine, as well as offering many other Asian dishes in their expansive menu.


 Shophouse Kitchen

Coconut Juice

Baked seafood with fried rice $13.90

One of the dishes that I like the order the most at Hong Kong style cafes and restaurants is the baked rice. Usually I like to make a combination of the cream and tomato sauce for the baked rice, but there wasn't an option to choose more than one of these during my visit. I do however like to try things differently so I was not really fussed by this. Unfortunately, I did find that with just the cream sauce and the melted mozarella on top, that the dish was too rich for my taste. I believe that if half of the cream sauce had been the tomato based sauce, the dish would have been much better, as the tart flavour of the tomato would have cut through the rich cream and cheese to allow the seafood to shine through.





Food Rating 6.5/10
Overall Rating 6.5/10
Shophouse Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato