Sunday 4 March 2018

Bergerac

555 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne

My first experience with Bergerac was many years ago when the restaurant was still located on Melbourne's King Street. I was quite disappointed when I went to visit them again, only to find that they were no longer there. However, while looking for new restaurants in the city I happened to stumble upon their new Lonsdale Street location. Eager to try them again, I dropped my plans and visited them for dinner soon after.


Magret de Canard

Magret de Canard was a dish comprised of oven-roasted duck breast with potato fondant, served on a bed of braised red cabbage in a black cherry jus. I actually really enjoyed the flavour components of the dish, especially how the jus and the duck came together. I do wish that the duck was cooked slightly better as I did find it a little overcooked, however this was only a minor issue.

Lamb special

Pear and frangipane tart

Creme brulee with berry compote

I've been served my fair share of terrible creme brulee, from the incredibly burnt, to the overcooked and grainy. Luckily the creme brulee served at Bergerac was exactly what I would expect to be served from a nice French restaurant.  The thin burnt sugar coating lent to the mouthfeel and texture of the creamy and well balanced custard base, as well as adding a little extra sweetness. If I had to fault this dish, I would have to say that compared to the quality of the creme brulee, the berry compote did not seem to add much to the dish.

With the rise in popularity of all the modern and fusion restaurants around the city, there are a smaller number of the older style and more traditional restaurants left. With some of my favourite restaurants closing in recent times, I feel like giving some of the older restaurants, such as Bergerac some love is definitely something worth doing.





Food Rating 8.5/10
Overall Rating 8.5/10
Bergerac Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato