Saturday 19 May 2018

Pho 888

552 Station Street, Box Hill

Outside of the times that I'm visiting suburbs such as Richmond or Springvale, which are known for their Vietnamese communities, Pho 888 has become my go-to restaurant for a quick and cheap bowl of Pho.

 No Vietnamese basil

 Rare beef and beef balls

Special beef


Although I said Pho 888 is my go-to pho restaurant in Box Hill, I would not go as far as to say that they are particularly great. Although the broth is a little bit murky and there is sometimes a substantial layer of oil on top of it, I do appreciate that most of the flavours and elements of the soup were all present and that it was all cooked well.

The visit described in this post was a little while back and I have visited them a few times since then. On my last visit I decided to ask them for a take-away option, as I was busy. However, when I arrived home shortly after to prepare my meal, I discovered that the meat had a sour odor to it. I do understand that it is harder to guarantee the quality of everything, especially if it is going to be taken out, however this was well past the margin of anything that I could look past. Because of this, although my judgment of the restaurant in this post is specifically for the visit I described, I cannot recommend visiting Pho 888 anymore.





Food Rating  7.5/10
Overall Rating 7/10
Pho 888 Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato