Wednesday 8 June 2016

Tsukiji

237 High Street, Prahran

A while back while I was having breakfast in Windsor, a friend of mine showed me Tsukiji. A small cross between a Japanese grocery and sushi shop run by a Japanese couple, Tsukiji boasts some of the best and freshest sashimi in Melbourne and as a lover of sashimi I was incredibly excited when I had the chance to try it out.


Dimly lit entrance

Tsukiji

Photos of Japan and others

Japanese grocery stand

Sake and beer range

A selection of different beers and sake are available here as well as a small menu of hot Japanese food and sushi.

Seafood salad items

Salmon and other fish

Tuna, oysters and more

When I arrived at Tsukiji they had not opened yet, but there were already people waiting outside. The first thing you see when you enter is a small stand of different Japanese groceries, directly to the right of it lies what they are known for, the seafood.

Surf clam, broadbill (swordfish), tuna and salmon $20.50

The sashimi I chose included the surf clam, broadbill, tuna and salmon. After taking my choices up to the counter, I was handed a number and the sashimi was taken in to be sliced. Expect to wait quite a while for it to be prepared though, the only people working there are a Japanese couple who do both the cooking and the serving. When the sashimi arrived and I started to taste it, I realised that the wait was worth it. The fish was firm and fresh and the taste was great, along with the atmosphere of the restaurant, I could not imagine a more perfect place to be eating sashimi on a cold night.




Food Rating 9/10
Overall Rating 9/10
Tsukiji Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato