Wednesday 20 September 2017

Som Thai

6/258 Blackburn Road, Doncaster East

Som Thai is a small Thai restaurant located in the Doncaster East section of Blackburn Road. Although the area is not particularly close to any major hubs, there are still quite a few restaurants open, including the popular Tender Trap and Taipan.


 Som Thai

 Fish cakes


I've always enjoyed Thai fish cakes so I like to order them whenever I am given the chance. The fish cakes from Som Thai had a bit more spice from the chilli instead of the strong taste of herbs that I was used to. This was quite a welcome change for me as I love spicy food and sometimes I find the flavours from the Thai herbs to be overwhelming.

 Yum beef salad

Red duck curry


The red duck curry was one of my favourite dishes of the meal. The curry itself was quite creamy and light and the mix of different ingredients such as peppers and pineapple were quite appetising. Although the dish was quite tasty overall, I did find that the duck was a little tough and that the curry was lacking a little spice.

Despite not having been to Thailand, I do have a quite a grasp on Thai cuisine. Having visited many of Melbourne's Thai restaurants, ranging from the large and popular to the small family run restaurants, as well as having some Thai friends, I can say that Som Thai is quite good in comparison to some restaurants. Although some of their dishes are not strictly traditional, many of the main Thai flavours you would expect are prominently featured throughout their menu. 

While Thai restaurants are quite popular in Melbourne and there are many amazing ones at that, I would still recommend visiting Som Thai, as the food they serve is more than some would expect from a small local restaurant.




Food Rating 8/10
Overall Rating 8/10
Som Thai Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato