Friday 5 August 2016

Pokéd

Shop 3, 551 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne

Pokéd is a brand new restaurant which brings the Hawaiian dish Poke to the heart of the Melbourne CBD. Excited to try the new addition of a Hawaiian classic, I rushed into the city the first day I was available after their grand opening.


Healeys Lane 

Poked

Salmon with crab salad white rice and crispy shallots

I decided to construct my own poke as none of the menu options appealed to me. However, I soon found out that they had run out of a large amount of their menu items including their tuna and their wonton crisps, both of which I was eager to try. 

The traditional poke began as a fisherman's dish which was based solely around the fish itself. The dish has evolved to include many different types of ingredients, but all of the variations still have the same focus on the fish. The poke that I ordered at Pokéd however, seemed closer to a salad than anything else. Although the dish had some well prepared elements and flavours that mingled well together, the 7 or so cubes of unseasoned salmon I received hardly resembled the poke which I was looking forward to.

The concept of Pokéd has a lot of potential behind it. They have put a large amount of thought behind many elements of the store including their fully recyclable packaging and their seats which allow you to sit in a posture that aids digestion. With a few minor improvements, I could see myself going to Pokéd a lot more frequently.



Food Rating 7/10
Overall Rating 7.5/10
Pokéd Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato